As we were passing some of the other riders on the climbs we started getting comments about the advantage of our "easy gearing" (even though we were clearly pushing a harder gear than the people we were passing). This made me think of all the funny/stupid comments I have gotten from guys in races. Many men are clearly not comfortable being passed by " A GIRL" and often feel the need to come up with unprompted excuses for why they are being passed or not keeping up.
Here is my list of The Top 10 Stupid Guy Comments:
10. I am just stretching out a cramp (heard many many times during various races)
9. I lost my water bottle
8. I'm bonking (answer to: Hello!)
7. My shifting is not working....
6. Angrily: I just finished building this bike in my garage last night and something is not working right.
5. OH, I am just taking it EASY today (Answer to: Hey, good job)
4. I had 7 flats today
3. Oh bummer, I just took a drink from my water bottle and now you pass me (passing a guy at the top of a hill and never seeing him again)
2. It must be easy to go up a hill with that gearing (passing a guy on my mtb, in my big chainring on the road while he is riding a carbon fiber roadbike)
1. Riding a Mtb on the road is as stupid as playing tennis with a wooden tennis racket (comment from a guy we passed during organized road ride)